1 a cut of meat (beef or veal or mutton or lamb) from the upper part of the leg
2 the part of the human leg between the knee and the ankle
3 cylinder forming a long narrow part of something [syn: stem]
4 cylinder forming the part of a bolt between the thread and the head
5 cylinder forming the part of a bit by which it is held in the drill
6 the narrow part of the shoe connecting the heel and the wide part of the sole [syn: waist]
7 lower part of the leg extending from the hock to the fetlock in hoofed mammals [syn: cannon]
8 a poor golf stroke in which the heel of the club hits the ball v : hit (a golf ball) with the heel of a club, causing the ball to veer in the wrong direction
- Rhymes: -æŋk
- The lower part of the leg; shin.
- Meat from that part of an animal.
- A straight, narrow part of an object; shaft; stem.
- The center part of a fishhook between the eye and the hook, the 'hook' being the curved part that bends toward the point.
- A protruding part of an object, by which it is or can be attached.
- The metal part on a curb bit that falls below the mouthpiece of the bit, which length controls the severity of the leverage action of the bit, and to which the reins of the bridle are attached.
- A poorly played golf shot in which the ball is struck by the part of the club head that connects to the shaft. See thin,fat,toe.
- (slang) An improvised stabbing weapon.
- (slang) Bad.
lower part of the leg
- Bosnian: potkoljenica
- Croatian: gnjat
- Finnish: sääri (in humans), potka (in animals)
- German: Unterschenkel
- Portuguese: perna, canela, tornozelo
meat from that part of animal
- Finnish: potka, etupotka (front leg), takapotka (hind leg)
straight, narrow part of an object
- Finnish: varsi
protruding part of an object, by which it can be attached
- Finnish: kahva, otin, ripa
part of curb bit
- Finnish: varsi
Shank can refer to:
- Lead shank, a type of lead used for difficult horses
- Shank (sewing), a sewing-specific shank include button shanks and thread shanks
- The long, narrow part of a screw or nail
- Shank, part of a ship's anchor
- Shank (weapon), a slang for a makeshift knife usually crafted from scrap metal, or (as a verb) the use of such a weapon
- Shanks, wading birds in the genus Tringa
- Shanks' mare, an idiom meaning to walk
(meat), a cut of meat
- Beef shank, a cut of beef from the lower part of a cow, namely the extremities
- Sheepshank, a knot used to shorten a rope
- In ballet, the shank is the part of a pointe shoe used to support the arch of one's foot when dancing en pointe
- Shankh, a quantity in the Indian numbering system
- SHANK1 or SHANK2, a major scaffold protein that interacts indirectly with both NMDA receptors and metabotropic receptors
- Christopher B. Shank, Maryland politician
shank in German: Schaft
shank in Dutch: Schaft
Chateaubriand, ankle, ascender, back, bastard type, bayonet legs, beard, belly, bevel, black letter, blade roast, body, bowlegs, breast, brisket, calf, cap, capital, case, chuck, chuck roast, clod, cnemis, cold cuts, counter, descender, drumstick, em, en, face, fat-faced type, feet, filet mignon, flank, font, foreleg, gamb, gambrel, gigot, groove, ham, hind leg, hock, italic, jamb, knee, knuckle, leg, letter, ligature, limb, logotype, loin, lower case, majuscule, minuscule, nick, pale, palisade, peg, pi, pica, picket, pile, plate, plate piece, podite, point, popliteal space, pot roast, print, rack, rib roast, ribs, roast, rolled roast, roman, round, rump, rump roast, saddle, sans serif, scissor-legs, script, shin, short ribs, shoulder, shoulder clod, sirloin, small cap, small capital, spile, stake, stamp, stem, stems, stumps, tarsus, tenderloin, trotters, type, type body, type class, type lice, typecase, typeface, typefounders, typefoundry, upper case